HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Latin America (Group) » 6 Guantanamo prisoners se...

Sun Dec 7, 2014, 06:30 PM

6 Guantanamo prisoners sent to Uruguay as refugees

6 Guantanamo prisoners sent to Uruguay as refugees
Jane Onyanga-Omara and Fredreka Schouten, USA TODAY 3:16 p.m. EST December 7, 2014

Six men held for more than 12 years at Guantanamo Bay arrived in Uruguay on Sunday to be resettled as refugees as part of a deal between the South American nation and the Obama administration.

The transfer prompted immediate criticism from the head of the House Intelligence Committee.

The six four Syrians, a Tunisian and a Palestinian were detained as suspected militants with ties to al-Qaeda but were never charged. A Pentagon statement said the United States worked with Uruguay's government to ensure the transfers took place.

The government identified the men as Ahmed Adnan Ahjam, Ali Hussain Shaabaan, Omar Mahmoud Faraj, Abdul Bin Mohammed Abis Ourgy, Mohammed Tahanmatan and Jihad Diyab.

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers, R-Mich., said the United States should reconsider transfers.

More:
http://news.google.com/news/section?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4TSND_enUS566US566&q=Uruguay+guatanamo+prisoners

1 replies, 502 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply 6 Guantanamo prisoners sent to Uruguay as refugees (Original post)
Judi Lynn Dec 2014 OP
Judi Lynn Dec 2014 #1

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sun Dec 7, 2014, 07:25 PM

1. Uruguay accepts six Guantanamo prisoners for resettlement

Uruguay accepts six Guantanamo prisoners for resettlement

MATT SPETALNICK
Last updated 07:59, December 8 2014

Six men held for more than a decade at the US military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, have been flown to Uruguay for resettlement, the latest step in a slow-moving push by US President Barack Obama's administration to close the facility.

The release of four Syrians, a Tunisian and a Palestinian, who arrived in South America aboard a US military transport plane, represented the largest single group to leave the internationally condemned US detention camp since 2009, US officials said.

The jail was opened by Obama's predecessor, George W Bush, after the September 11, 2001, attacks on the United States, to house terrorism suspects rounded up overseas. Most have been held for a decade or more without being charged or tried.

Obama took office nearly six years ago promising to shut the prison, citing its damage to America's image around the world. But he has been unable to do so, partly because of obstacles posed by the US Congress.

The latest transfer of prisoners to Uruguay had been delayed for months. A move initially planned earlier this year was apparently held up by the US Defence Department.

Differences over the pace of such transfers, said one US official, added to friction between Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel and Obama's inner circle, culminating in Hagel's resignation last month.

More:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/63928876/uruguay-accepts-six-guantanamo-prisoners-for-resettlement

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread