HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I gotta say, this is quit...

Fri Apr 25, 2014, 08:41 PM

 

I gotta say, this is quite fun

When I first joined DU, way back when, it was purely to vent. Bush was president and the Republicans had a majority in the House and apparently 60 seats in the Senate, because they pushed through any insane #%^+ they wanted, be it legislation or appointees.

It was utterly depressing. I'd get gloating emails from Republican acquaintances. Teh suxxor! as our kid used to say.

Things have changed. To be honest, things are economically far worse today for the 99% than they were back then, and there's no quantitative sign of them getting better. But the cavalry is coming, I think.

Elizabeth Warren (yes, yes, of course, she's not running etc.) too "far out" Liberal to have been elected to Congress 10 years ago, is now the acknowledged heart and soul of our party. She and some other good souls have stopped Larry Summers from another crack at skinning what's left of us little people, have effectively stopped the TPP, and are putting pressure on the DOJ to do something that hasn't been tried in years: bringing huge financial criminals to justice.

A book by that Pikkety fellow from France that screams "the job creators don't create jobs, they just steal your stuff" is now the toast of the Smart Set. Two years ago, the Set was focused like a laser beam on the need to [strike]starve the old, poor and infirm a little more[/strike] responsibly strengthen the social safety net, so this is a step in the right direction.

Republicans are in full meltdown over the failure of Obamacare to end life on Earth, and by the appalling shenanigans of the "useful idiot" Tea Party they created. Their useful idiots have become ours. Tee-hee.

People are waking up. The bulk of us finally realize the Predator Class through their Smart Set lackeys, politicians and the press and such, administered a grand molten-lava enema to the rest of us while we were trying to just get through life, raise the kids, go to work, and do the stuff we were told that good people do.

Times have changed.

We have reached what we nerds call an inflection point. That's the part of the curve where things don't stop getting worse, but they start getting worse more slowly. There's the beginning of some restorative force that's slowing down the bad. Give it a little time, and it will start to turn genuinely upwards again.

So it will be bad for a while, it will even get worse for a while. But if we all pull together, keep our eyes open, heads high, elbows sharp, and vote for people who don't simply suck less, that curve will start going up again. And if history is any indication, it will go up for decades.

So hold on! It's coming!

13 replies, 1613 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply I gotta say, this is quite fun (Original post)
MannyGoldstein Apr 2014 OP
Democracyinkind Apr 2014 #1
seveneyes Apr 2014 #2
senseandsensibility Apr 2014 #9
mia Apr 2014 #3
zeemike Apr 2014 #8
Dragonfli Apr 2014 #4
DeSwiss Apr 2014 #5
MannyGoldstein Apr 2014 #6
DeSwiss Apr 2014 #7
RobertEarl Apr 2014 #10
Enthusiast Apr 2014 #11
randome Apr 2014 #12
hootinholler Apr 2014 #13

Response to MannyGoldstein (Original post)

Fri Apr 25, 2014, 08:56 PM

1. I agree.

As I said in a similar thread, it's not exactly the ringing of revolution, but we are getting a hold on the general narrative. Which is a monumental step, considering the madness that we have gone through.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to MannyGoldstein (Original post)

Fri Apr 25, 2014, 09:25 PM

2. If just 10 people tell 10 other people

 

And each group of 10 tells another 10, until everyone knows the score, then everyone will know.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to seveneyes (Reply #2)

Sat Apr 26, 2014, 12:27 AM

9. There is a lot of truth to that.

I don't know why I am so loathe to tell anyone about what is going on, then. I mean, I will tell people that I feel are at least halfway open to hearing it. But talk to the hardcore right? I seem to be less inclined the older I get, I'm embarrassed to say. After decades of dealing with a far right family, I guess I'm jaded. Nothing works with a brainwashed, far right Fox news saturated mind, I'm afraid.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to MannyGoldstein (Original post)

Fri Apr 25, 2014, 09:36 PM

3. Hope I live long enough to see it.

Last edited Fri Apr 25, 2014, 10:35 PM - Edit history (1)


Times will be better for my children and grandchildren.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to mia (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 25, 2014, 11:53 PM

8. I hope I live long enough to see it too.

but that is unlikely.
Never the less I will be happy if our posterity does.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to MannyGoldstein (Original post)

Fri Apr 25, 2014, 10:18 PM

4. I hope you are right Manny

If so it is already too late to save me and many others like me who have already fallen to extreme poverty and are headed into oblivion even as any and all who have not fallen appear completely oblivious to all save what is left of the so labeled "middle class".

Even if you are correct, we are still piling up very real casualties, and no party, even the only one that may someday return to principles that would have made a difference is willing to do anything but help the top 30% or so.

It will be too late for me and it is already too late or many others, so from my perspective, I can hope and do what I can to further any turn around that may be coming, but only for future people that it will not be too late to save. I suppose the remainder of the middle class has enough time before it is too late for them, it is better than nothing and certainly worth fighting for.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink



Response to DeSwiss (Reply #5)

Fri Apr 25, 2014, 11:41 PM

6. I love that.

 

Might swipe it as a desktop or something.

That yours?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #6)

Fri Apr 25, 2014, 11:44 PM

7. I found it on the Internets.

 

- So enjoy and have at it!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to MannyGoldstein (Original post)

Sat Apr 26, 2014, 04:04 AM

10. Hooray! We are finally getting close to the bottom!!

 

But this could just be an endless sinkhole. That will have to be filled in lest it captures the rich folks too. Then 'trickle down' will look like a spring rain compared to the rocks and more dirt being dumped on us.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink



Response to MannyGoldstein (Original post)

Sat Apr 26, 2014, 07:22 AM

12. The tide is turning.

 


[hr][font color="blue"][center]A 90% chance of rain means the same as a 10% chance:
It might rain and it might not.
[/center][/font][hr]

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to MannyGoldstein (Original post)

Sat Apr 26, 2014, 08:35 AM

13. Coming?

I'm not sure it's even breathing hard yet.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread