Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Caribbeans

(828 posts)
Mon Jun 3, 2024, 05:06 PM Jun 3

Lithium-Ion Battery Malfunction Causes $950,000 House Fire



Lithium-Ion Battery Malfunction Causes $950,000 House Fire

Pamela Vanmeer | June 3, 2024

KAWARTHA LAKES-Kawartha Lakes Fire And Rescue says a malfunctioning lithium-ion battery sparked a major house fire in Reaboro.

Fire crews responded to the home on Settlers Road between Peace Road and Slanted Road just before noon on Sunday. The fire began in the garage and had started to spread to the home when fire crews arrived on the scene. Two people were home at the time according to the fire department but both made it out safely.

Deputy Chief Matthews told Kawartha 411 News they believe something happened during the charging process with a lithium-ion battery which caused the fire.

‘The homeowners were following all of the manufacturer’s operating instructions when the fire happened.” said Matthews.

Five fire halls with nine trucks responded to the blaze. Damage is pegged at approximately $950,000...more
https://www.kawartha411.ca/2024/06/03/lithium-ion-battery-malfunction-causes-950000-house-fire/

Just a few months after this:

Kawartha Lakes Fire Rescue Service addresses lithium-ion battery safety following Toronto incident

KawarthaLakes.ca | January 11, 2024

Kawartha Lakes – In the wake of a recent incident in Toronto where an e-bike equipped with lithium-ion batteries caught fire on a subway train, Kawartha Lakes Fire Rescue Service (KLFRS) urges the public to be mindful of the proper usage and handling of lithium-ion batteries. This incident has prompted Toronto fire officials to issue a warning, emphasizing the potential risks associated with these batteries...more
https://www.kawarthalakes.ca/en/news/kawartha-lakes-fire-rescue-service-addresses-lithium-ion-battery-safety-following-toronto-incident.aspx

If you're ever around a Lithium Battery fire try not to breathe the smoke.
1 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Lithium-Ion Battery Malfunction Causes $950,000 House Fire (Original Post) Caribbeans Jun 3 OP
Repeatedly charging lithion ion batteries to 100% is a no no... PeaceWave Jun 3 #1

PeaceWave

(252 posts)
1. Repeatedly charging lithion ion batteries to 100% is a no no...
Mon Jun 3, 2024, 05:27 PM
Jun 3

I have a Samsung tablet that was plugged in 100% of the time (used as a security camera monitor). About a month ago, I noticed that the display half of the unit had separated from the back plate. Prying it open (I love tinkering with electronics), I found a lithion ion battery pack that had swelled to about 3 times its original size due to overcharging. That sucker was a sleeping fire hazard. I was able to order a replacement battery pack for only $18 and do the repair myself. The swelled battery pack go dropped off at Staples who, in turn, gave me a $10 coupon for my drop off.

Latest Discussions»Issue Forums»Environment & Energy»Lithium-Ion Battery Malfu...