Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search


(20,836 posts)
Thu May 2, 2024, 05:50 PM May 2

Question for the Automobile Enthusiasts group:

I have an old (2003) Ford E350 van. The Idle Validation Switch is going bad. This is an integral part of the gas pedal assembly, not able to purchase separately, nor can you purchase the assembly.

I need to bypass this switch. The wires going to the switch are about the size of a pencil lead, maybe smaller...its been a long time since I stripped a pencil to look at the diameter of the lead.

I do not want to cut the connector off to splice in, so I was looking at things like this (I would call them T-splices):

My question is how do I know what size to purchase? Here is the explanation google gives for measuring the gauge of a wire (and I don't want to do that):

First, make a small cut about 1/2" long and remove the insulation on the automotive wire. Then, count the individual strands of copper and use a micrometer to measure one of the strands. From there, refer to the table below to determine the wire's gauge.

I don't want to cut the wire to find the gauge.

Thanks for any hints.
6 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Question for the Automobile Enthusiasts group: (Original Post) ret5hd May 2 OP
I don't have a wiring diagram for that, so no detail... bhikkhu May 2 #1
that is really what i'm doing... ret5hd May 2 #3
Maybe a silly question, but ... sl8 May 2 #2
not silly at all... ret5hd May 2 #4
Typically 16 ga wires on a Ford Mopar151 May 4 #5
TY ret5hd May 4 #6


(10,739 posts)
1. I don't have a wiring diagram for that, so no detail...
Thu May 2, 2024, 06:05 PM
May 2

but the idle validation switch has two circuits, and they have to agree, for the sake of redundancy on a somewhat important safety-related device. Assuming that one has failed but the other hasn't, you could find out which two wires are the signal wires, then bare a little bit of each anywhere along their length, then connect the two with a basic jumper lead. Which is just a wire with an alligator clip on each end. After you connect the two, they'll agree, and as long as one circuit is good it should work well; one signal will drive both circuits, and of course they will agree.

I had to do things like that fairly often as an easy way to diagnose redundant circuits. On a customer's rig that would just be diag, then an actual repair would follow, but if it was my own rig I'd know what I'd done, and I'd probably leave it until some convenient time came along to actually fix it.

And of course, if that doesn't work then it was a different problem, or perhaps both circuits failed. But at least all of your wiring is still intact and it's easy to put things back how they were.


(20,836 posts)
3. that is really what i'm doing...
Thu May 2, 2024, 06:21 PM
May 2

but i am not wanting to strip wires…just tap into them.

hence my question.


(20,836 posts)
4. not silly at all...
Thu May 2, 2024, 06:25 PM
May 2

the wires, now 21+ years old, are (were) taped with that thick cloth-type electrical tape all the way up to the point where they entered the connectors. I stripped the tape off, but between age and goo i can’t see any lettering on the wires, despite my feeble attempts at cleaning.


(10,072 posts)
5. Typically 16 ga wires on a Ford
Sat May 4, 2024, 04:04 AM
May 4

The "red" series crimp connectors work on 16 - 18 ga. wire. The kind that tap into a wire without stripping are (3M) Scotch-Loks.

Latest Discussions»Culture Forums»Automobile Enthusiasts»Question for the Automobi...