Latest Breaking News
Showing Original Post only (View all)Chicago sues 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett over costs of police work despite dismissal of charges [View all]
Source: Chicago Tribune
Outgoing Mayor Rahm Emanuels administration says it went to court Thursday to try to force Jussie Smollett to pay Chicago back for an alleged hate crime hoax even though Cook County prosecutors dropped all charges against the Empire actor.
The lawsuit, filed in Circuit Court, comes after Smollett failed to pony up for the costs of the police investigation by a deadline imposed by the city. The city said he owes $130,106 the cost of the police overtime hours expended in the investigation into his allegations.
The upcoming battle in civil court promises in many ways to mirror the criminal charges against Smollett that were abruptly dismissed by prosecutors last month. Both center on the same question: Did Smollett stage a physical assault on himself, claiming his attackers shouted racial and homophobic slurs?
Celebrity attorney Mark Geragos, who represents Smollett, has previously vowed a vigorous defense, warning that Emanuel, police Superintendent Eddie Johnson and other key players would be required to give sworn testimony.
Read more: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-jussie-smollett-city-lawsuit-20190409-story.html
While it is true officials of the city will have to give sworn testimony -- so will Jussie Smollett. To date he has not given any sworn statements.